Friday, December 17, 2010

Holiday giving: keeping it simple

DECEMBER 17, 2010

As Christmas approaches, I think many of us feel excited and anxious at the same time. I’m happy about the holiday lights, the ornaments, the fresh smell of pine from our Christmas tree….and then I’m, anxious about all the things I have to do, want to buy, wish I could buy.



In the past few years, my significant other and I have made it a point to keep Christmas gift giving to a minimum. Really. No more than 20 dollars on a gift for each other. It has been a card and a tree ornament. A hand written note of our favorite memories of each other. A single edition of a Wine Spectator. A book. Warm fuzzy socks.



I think sometimes we have the desire to please by buying. And, sometimes, we end up getting carried away. Is this year’s gift just as good as last years? Can it be better? Is it the latest and greatest? Might he/she be disappointed if it’s the wrong size, color, style, make or model?



Honestly, I would feel much better with something that’s home-made, something edible, something thoughtful than another thing to put on the shelf, something I’ll wear once and put away.



Christmas gifting is what you’d like to give. It’s also what you’d like to do for someone.



Of course, I’d love an iPhone or a plane ticket to Mexico City. But, I can buy those things myself. Honestly, I’m just as happy to share a glass of wine or a plate of fresh baked cookies with my loved ones and friends.



I'd love to hear from you....



Email: sphan@news10.net

Facebook: SuzannePhanNews10

Twitter: @suzannephan





Read more…

No comments:

Post a Comment