Friday, November 26, 2010

A Grateful Reporter: Meeting Some Amazing Families This Year

NOVEMBER 26, 2010

I’m grateful to have met some extraordinary families this year. I’ve interviewed them on all sorts of subjects for special reports. In my story "Mancession," I talked to a family about women becoming the breadwinner of the family because of layoffs. In "Pregnant Drinking" I spoke to a remarkable mother of 7 and professional mom blogger about a British study that says its ok for pregnant women to drink in moderation. In another story, I talked to a great mom about moms saving money and her favorite tips. Another extraordinary mom I met recently is going back to school to finish her degree in psychology while raising a remarkably tech-savvy young boy with Asperger’s syndrome.



This is one of the experiences I’m grateful for as a reporter. I’m grateful to meet families who make me realize the importance of family--through thick and through thin. It’s wonderful to see how some families, if faced with adversity or personal challenges, overcome them.



I’m grateful that they’ve trusted me enough to share their story. I’m grateful they invite me into their home. I know that I’m a rather private person, slow to open up and share with others. And, I realize how much it takes to trust someone with intimate details or to simply invite a stranger into one’s home. I’m grateful that I’m able to spend a few moments with someone and their loved ones, talking to them on their couch or at their kitchen table. I’m happy to share a story---no matter how little time I'm given. From these experiences, I’ve learned a bit more about human nature, about family, and about the love that helps many people to triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment